Today's Wall Street Journal, however, included an article "Overseeing More Employees With Fewer Managers" (subscription required) in which it showcases the trend of companies to reconsider the maximum team size.
Most notable, "researchers in Europe suggest that a manager can oversee 30 or more employees, in part, by using technology to communicate and help monitor work."
BOTTOMLINE: By giving frontline workers more responsibility, you need fewer bosses. The research above suggests that technology can help address the challenge.
The Six Disciplines strategy execution program includes a technology component, which we refer to as an execution system. This breakthrough system is optimized to:
- Automate a repeatable business-building methodology
- Address time management
- Enable real-time activity alignment
- Support weekly progress reviews
- Encourage total organizational engagement
- Measure and monitor strategy execution progress for each individual and team
The Six Disciplines execution system directly supports the ability to have fewer managers by "using technology to communicate and help monitor work."