Some gems include:
- One of the things Jack said early on that I think is totally right is: It's a marathon. It's not a sprint. His advice was right. It's the sustained ability to change that really counts.
- If you can get up every day, stay optimistic, and believe the future is better than the past, those few things get you through a lot of tough times.
- I say my job isn't to manage 300,000 people. It's to manage you. If you have the values, the ambition, if you're able to create excellence, this is going to be a great company.
- One of the things I learned from Jack is that when you're running GE, it's your job to pick ideas, pick people, and spread those ideas across the company. It's not as much a question of confidence as much as it is a combination of confidence and actually seeing the pathway you want to follow -- not just for a year or two but for a long period of time.
- In some next life, I want to do something where I could give back. Teaching is one way. I would probably teach business, somewhere, someplace, somehow.