The Six Disciplines blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to our new home. If that does not occur, please visit:

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

The Fast Company Interview: Jeff Immelt

The Fast Company Interview: Jeff Immelt offers some interesting insights into GE's Jack Welch and Jeff Immelt.

Some gems include:

  • One of the things Jack said early on that I think is totally right is: It's a marathon. It's not a sprint. His advice was right. It's the sustained ability to change that really counts.
  • If you can get up every day, stay optimistic, and believe the future is better than the past, those few things get you through a lot of tough times.
  • I say my job isn't to manage 300,000 people. It's to manage you. If you have the values, the ambition, if you're able to create excellence, this is going to be a great company.
  • One of the things I learned from Jack is that when you're running GE, it's your job to pick ideas, pick people, and spread those ideas across the company. It's not as much a question of confidence as much as it is a combination of confidence and actually seeing the pathway you want to follow -- not just for a year or two but for a long period of time.
  • In some next life, I want to do something where I could give back. Teaching is one way. I would probably teach business, somewhere, someplace, somehow.

No comments: