In helping to celebrate National Small Business Week, consider the following statistics from the National Federation of Independent Businesses (NFIB):
- Small firms account for 39 percent of the country's gross national product
Small firms create two out of every three new jobs
- Small firms are twice as innovative per employee as larger firms
- Small, innovative firms produce 13 times more patents per employee than large patenting firms
- 66 percent of the Americans think that small businesses "exert a positive influence on the way things are going in the country today"
- 91 percent of small business owners contributed to their community in the last year through volunteering, in-kind contributions, and/or direct cash donations