High-performance businesses have remarkable clarity when it comes to setting strategic direction, especially regarding big decisions. They always seem to be in the right place at the right time.
- When one market matures, they’re ready with the next big thing;
- When buying trends send customers in a different direction, they’re waiting at the end of the path
- When they acquire new businesses, they do so wisely and tend to them well
High performers excel when it comes to their market focus and position—the “where and how to compete” aspects of business strategy and one of the three building blocks of high performance:
- How to manage for today and tomorrow
- How to best “parent” the businesses they operate
- How to compete through organization design
BOTTOMLINE: The ability of high-performance businesses to ride their decision making to better market focus and position does not mean they are infallible. High performers maintain their focus on consistently making good strategic component decisions. Above all, constancy (persistence) and diligence set high performers apart.
Read the entire Accenture article here.