- About 25% of all new hires won't make it through their first year, according to research from the Employment Policy Foundation.
- Almost half - 46% - of rookies wash out in the first 18 months, found Leadership IQ, a training firm that studied 20,000 newly hired employees over three years.
- 53% of managers and executives brought on board from outside are gone within a year, according HR consultants Development Dimensions International.
- A huge percentage of new employees, including new managers, are not clearly told what they were hired to do or what their goals should be for the first six months and the first year.
- If you don't know your goals or what success looks like, you can't succeed.
What to do about it:
- You need to listen at least five times as much as you talk.
- Ask questions to understand what's really going on.
- Focus on the goals of the group, team, or company.