The Six Disciplines blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to our new home. If that does not occur, please visit:

Friday, June 16, 2006

Father's Day Advice

Entrepreneur.com has a great article exposing business advice from a father.....just in time to celebrate Father's Day:

"Here are the most valuable business lessons he taught me:"

  • Pay your dues. He instilled in me a strong work ethic that has served me well in my career. His father used to have a sign on his desk that read: "The harder I work, the luckier I get!"
  • Do work you enjoy . If you love what you do, it doesn't feel like work.
  • Walk and talk. Being accessible and approachable is important if you want a culture where people can admit they don't have all the answers and need help in a certain area.
  • Lead by example. Never ask people to do things you wouldn't do yourself.
  • Share success. When good things happen, make sure everyone who contributed is acknowledged and rewarded, not just the people at the top.
  • Give back. Be active in your community.
  • Stay positive. My dad is one of the most upbeat and optimistic people I've ever met. He has a great attitude and people love being around him. I think it makes them feel better about themselves. He always has a kind word or encouragement and smiles a lot. There's something very magnetic about people who exude happiness.

Happy Father's Day!

No comments: