"Here are the most valuable business lessons he taught me:"
- Pay your dues. He instilled in me a strong work ethic that has served me well in my career. His father used to have a sign on his desk that read: "The harder I work, the luckier I get!"
- Do work you enjoy . If you love what you do, it doesn't feel like work.
- Walk and talk. Being accessible and approachable is important if you want a culture where people can admit they don't have all the answers and need help in a certain area.
- Lead by example. Never ask people to do things you wouldn't do yourself.
- Share success. When good things happen, make sure everyone who contributed is acknowledged and rewarded, not just the people at the top.
- Give back. Be active in your community.
- Stay positive. My dad is one of the most upbeat and optimistic people I've ever met. He has a great attitude and people love being around him. I think it makes them feel better about themselves. He always has a kind word or encouragement and smiles a lot. There's something very magnetic about people who exude happiness.
Happy Father's Day!