Prosci's newest 2005 Best Practices in Change Management reveals these top report findings:
- The #1 contributor to (business improvement) project success is active, strong and visible sponsorship throughout the project.
- The top obstacles to successful change are employee resistance at all levels: front-line, middle managers, and senior managers and inadequate senior management sponsorship.
- Employees want to hear messages about change from two people: the CEO and their immediate supervisor - the message they want to hear from each individual is very different.
- When asked what they would do differently next time, most teams would dedicate resources to change management.
- The top reason for employee resistance is a lack of awareness about the change.
Knowing these factors before going into any important business process improvement can help set expectations appropriately.