The study uncovered the top four business risks facing business leaders and their ability to achieve business results over the next 24 months.
- 83% of senior executives said “increased competitive pressures” poses the greatest challenge to businesses and requires the broadest leadership skill set,
- 67% said “responding to rapidly changing market conditions”
- 60% said “failure to innovate”
- 52% said “satisfying customer expectations”
Senior executives identified the profile of today’s successful business leader as multi-dimensional, possessing a combination of three core competencies in order to rise above the top four business challenges. Mercer Delta Executive Learning Center categorizes these competencies as:
- Head: Cognitive skills; providing strategy, direction and purpose
- Heart: Emotional intelligence; understanding, working with, and developing others
- Guts: Values; doing the right thing based on clear values
BOTTOMLINE: Executives in this study identified the capacity to “think like a customer” as the most important leadership capability for their organizations.