In his article, he explains "...how extremely revealing (it was) to me about how company goals don’t often align with individual employee efforts and how unempowered many employees are."
To help, he surveyed almost 100 employees and asked them each the following questions:
- What is your key goal/metric?
- What reporting tool do you use to measure your success?
- What resources are available to you to accomplish your goals?
- What dependencies might get in the way of you succeeding?
- Every individual should have a personal scorecard that measures the results they are generating. And I believe in individual and team goals. (He found, however, that most employees didn’t have a goal that aligned with the company’s overall goals, or they didn’t have one at all.)
BOTTOMLINE: "It’s amazing what happens over time if you measure the right things every day and make sure employees are empowered and aligned."