If you want to read an informative book on generational influences at work, take a look at Jennifer J. Deal’s book discussing the research on the common ground between the young and old, Retiring the Generation Gap.
Here are the 10 key principles she developed in her book:
- All generations have similar values; They just express them differently
- Everyone wants respect: They just don’t define it the same way
- Trust matters
- People want leaders who are credible and trustworthy
- Organizational politics is a problem — No matter how old (or young) you are
- No one really likes change
- Loyalty depends on the context, not on the generation
- It’s as easy to retain a young person as an older one — If you do the right things
- Everyone wants to learn — More than just about anything else
- Almost everyone wants a coach.
(Hat tip to David Zinger on Employee Engagement! )