The Six Disciplines blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to our new home. If that does not occur, please visit:

Monday, January 08, 2007

Goal Setting Research

ThinkTQ -- a leading publisher of virtual training products for personal and professional excellence -- announced their results of its Goals Study.

Their editors distilled this entire body of knowledge down to 10 key actions that, when taken, move you closer to achieving your goals.

  1. Make all your dreams real by first identifying and then focusing on specific, tangible targets for what you want. (Only 26% of those tested say they do this frequently. Is it any wonder that, without a clear vision for what they want, people fail to find the success and happiness they desire?)
  2. Maintain at least one clearly defined goal for every major interest and role in your life. (Only 12% of those tested do this consistently. Thus, 88% lack balance in their lives. )
  3. Set your goals so they are directly aligned with your life's mission, purpose and passion. (Only 19% of those tested do this consistently. This leaves 81% that can't connect the dots between their life's' passion and purpose, and specific goals that would provide direction and meaning in their lives.)
  4. Create goals high enough to ignite your spirit and inspire you to take action. (Only 26% of those asked take this action frequently.)
  5. Write down all your goals in specific, measurable detail. (Less than 15% of those surveyed write down their goals.)
  6. Absolutely, unconditionally commit to hitting each of your targets. (Only 33% of those surveyed say they're fully committed to their goals.)
  7. Share your goals with others for mutual accomplishment. (Only 22% of those tested say they frequently share their goals with others.)
  8. Set a whole series of related daily, weekly and long-term goals, complete with starting times and completion dates. (Less than 12% of those tested say they do this consistently.)
  9. Take 10 minutes every day to imagine how terrific it will feel when your goals are actually realized.(Only 11% of those tested do this consistently. This, of course, is what leads to the huge disconnect between setting and achieving goals over time.)
  10. Take an action step toward the attainment of at least one goal every day. (Only 7% of those tested do this daily.)

BOTTOMLINE: "With an average Set Goals TQ Score of just 49 out of 100 points, is it any wonder the vast majority of people have difficulty setting clear, tangible goals for themselves or their organizations? Success -- both personally and professionally -- depends on your ability to turn dreams and visions into tangible milestones and objectives."

No comments: