According to change expert John P. Kotter:
Producing change is about 80 percent leadership -- establishing direction, aligning, motivating, and inspiring people -- and about 20 percent management -- planning, budgeting, organizing, and problem solving.
Results and vision can be plotted on a matrix that has four dimensions.
* Poor results and weak vision spell sure trouble for any organization (Stagnation)
* Good short-term results with a weak vision satisfy many organizations -- for awhile. (Unsustainable success)
* A compelling vision that produces few results usually is abandoned. (Abandoned vision)
* Only good short-term results with an effective, aligned vision offer a high probability of sustained success.
Here are Kotter's eight steps to transform your company:
- Establish a Sense of Urgency
- Form a Powerful Guiding Coalition
- Create a Vision
- Communicate the Vision
- Empower Others to Act on the Vision
- Plan for and Create Short-Term Wins
- Consolidate Improvements and Produce Still More Change
- Institutionalize New Approaches