- Strong leadership can increase the successful implementation of business strategies by 22%
- Organizations with strong leadership development and succession planning generally reported higher returns on equity and profit margins.
- Too often, leaders gave themselves low grades when looking at indicators of leadership performance and potential.
- Leaders rated themselves low on critical qualities of passion for results, adaptability and bringing out the best in people.
- Leaders are barely giving themselves passing grades, and organizations are still graduating them to the next level, promoting them into leadership positions
- One in four leaders had considered bailing out of their leadership position altogether, evidence of dissatisfaction with the leadership role.
BOTTOMLINE: A leadership crisis in the making? Most definitely. The majority of organizations are not preparing for the next generation of leaders. They should be growing leaders from within -- with succession planning in mind. People performance management (including leadership development) - one of the six management best practices that is integrated into the Six Disciplines Methodology.