This capability is critical, because service offerings and product lines come and go, but the core competence to define and execute a strategy is forever.
Warning signs related to not being "strategy focused" within an organization include:
- Team members don't understand the difference between working on the business and working in the business.
- There's no defined process for working on the business itself.
- Team members don't understand the strategy itself, and goals communication is infrequent and inadequate.
- People, systems, processes, policies and/or capital are not aligned with the strategy.
- Reward systems are misaligned with goals.