- Firms need to have a strategy for leadership development in place, one that looks at what leadership skills are required and why.
- Organizations also need to select managers with the potential to become good leaders and fulfill the leadership skills required.
- They need to give them the right training to help managers to gain skills and become good leaders.
- There needs to be a clear career development policy in place, as leadership requirements will vary depending on the task and role.
- Line managers need to act as leadership mentors, with more experienced managers who have learnt through their mistakes helping by advising new managers
- There needs to be self-development, ensuring managers learn from their actions through reflection and use of mentors
- Organizations need to understand what is required from leaders and then put it into practice themselves.
BOTTOMLINE: Success depends on leadership shown at every level in an organization, therefore employers must pay careful attention when selecting and training their leaders. "The secret to becoming a successful leader is recognizing the greatness that lies in others."